[FOSSi Discussion] FOSSi update and FOSEM

Philipp Wagner lists at philipp-wagner.com
Sun Feb 7 14:34:49 CET 2016

Hi all,

good news: librecores.org went live! As a first step, we focused on
documentation content. How to get started? What licenses are there?
What's going on in the community? To answer the last question, we've
also setup a Planet LibreCores, a blog aggregator. Find it at
http://librecores.org/planet, or subscribe to the feed in your feed
reader. Also let us know if there are blogs you'd like to see added.

As announced previously, we (Julius and Philipp) were also present at
FOSDEM in Brussels. We announced LibreCores in our main track
presentation "Digital Hardware Design: Why is it still so hard?", where
I also discussed the three HDL workflows (simulation only, FPGA targets
and ASIC targets) and how those workflows can be accomplished with only
FOSS tools, where free (as in beer) tools are needed, and which parts of
the design flow are currently unreachable by hobbyists.

In the end I had also the honor the announce The Open Corps, a project
by Chris Higgs and Stuart Hodgson of cocotb fame to provide a
Travis-like continuous integration (synthesis/testing) experience for
HDL projects. They're currently looking for beta testers, so get in
touch with them if that sounds interesting to you -- I'm personally
extremely excited about that project and see it as a major missing piece
in the FOSSi environment.

Find the presentation slides at http://bit.ly/1TMbe7K, I hope the videos
will be available soon as well (I heard there have been some recording
troubles during the first part of Saturday, let's hope we're not affected.)

Julius and I also attended other great talks, especially in the EDA
Devroom, talked to many people and in general had a great time. I hope
you felt the same if you were there -- if not, there's always a chance
to go next year.

Talking about next year, what's our plans for the coming time?

First and foremost, LibreCores is not yet where we want it to be. The
project repository part is still missing, and there's also more room for
content. So that will be #1 priority.

But you can help! I've just published the sources of the librecores.org
site to a public github repository. Check it out at
https://github.com/librecores/librecores-web, contribute where you feel
things are missing, and open a pull request! The repository also
contains various scripts and a Vagrant-based development setup that
should you get started easily without reading through a 100-page
prerequisites document. Give it a try and let us know if there are any
problems!

Philipp