[Librecores Discussion] [GSoC2017] High-level bitstream format

Roland Lutz rlutz at hedmen.org
Sat May 6 23:16:07 CEST 2017

On Sat, 6 May 2017, Martin d'Anjou wrote:
> IMO, students should introduce themselves on this mailing list, with a
> specific "[GSoC2017] Project Name" subject.

Hello world :)

I'm Roland Lutz from Germany, and my GSoC project is a high-level
bitstream format for Lattice iCE40 FPGAs.[0]  The idea is to create a
bitstream representation which is friendly for humans to read and write,
comparable to what an Assembler language is for machine text.

I'm also active in the gEDA project[1], a suite of Free Software EDA
programs, working mainly on the netlister and other non-interactive code.
I started creating an alternative GUI some years ago[2] but have since
concentrated on the in-memory object representation[3].

My first task will be to improve the IceStorm documentation.  I'm very
interested to hear if you worked with it before and have any thoughts or
ideas about how to make it more beginner-friendly. :)

Roland

[0] https://fossi-foundation.org/2017/05/04/gsoc#high-level-bitstream-format-for-lattice-ice40-fpgas
[1] http://wiki.geda-project.org/
[2] http://hedmen.org/xi/