[Librecores Discussion] [GSoC2017] High-level bitstream format

Martin d'Anjou martin.danjou14 at gmail.com
Sun May 7 19:30:19 CEST 2017

On 17-05-06 05:16 PM, Roland Lutz wrote:
> On Sat, 6 May 2017, Martin d'Anjou wrote:
>> IMO, students should introduce themselves on this mailing list, with
>> a specific "[GSoC2017] Project Name" subject.
>
> Hello world :)
>
> I'm Roland Lutz from Germany, and my GSoC project is a high-level
> bitstream format for Lattice iCE40 FPGAs.[0]  The idea is to create a
> bitstream representation which is friendly for humans to read and
> write, comparable to what an Assembler language is for machine text.
>
> I'm also active in the gEDA project[1], a suite of Free Software EDA
> programs, working mainly on the netlister and other non-interactive
> code. I started creating an alternative GUI some years ago[2] but have
> since concentrated on the in-memory object representation[3].
>
> My first task will be to improve the IceStorm documentation.  I'm very
> interested to hear if you worked with it before and have any thoughts
> or ideas about how to make it more beginner-friendly. :)
>
> Roland
>

> [0]
> https://fossi-foundation.org/2017/05/04/gsoc#high-level-bitstream-format-for-lattice-ice40-fpgas
> [1] http://wiki.geda-project.org/
> [2] http://hedmen.org/xi/
> [3] https://fosdem.org/2017/schedule/event/xorn_geda/

Hello Roland,

Glad to meet you and welcome :-)

I should introduce myself as well, since I am new to mentoring with
librecores. I'm Martin d'Anjou from Ottawa, Canada. It is my second year
as a mentor for GSoC (the first time was with Jenkins). I have worked in
ASIC/FPGA, mostly in verification and in automation. Over time I also
developed an interest in compiler technologies because many problems in
hardware design are code translation problems. I learned flex/bison a
long time ago, but I moved entirely to Antlr since, because it was way
more powerful. Although I do not know the details of Lattice iCE40
(yet), I felt I could help with the higher level aspects, so I offered
to co-mentor your project along with Stefan.

I will look at the documentation here http://www.clifford.at/icestorm/
to familiarize myself with the iCE40.

Best,
Martin