[Librecores Discussion] "A plan for open source software maintainers"

Olof Kindgren olof.kindgren at gmail.com
Thu May 11 16:01:48 CEST 2017

On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 11:44 AM, Stefan Wallentowitz <
stefan at wallentowitz.de> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> today I found this rather interesting article at HN [1] and I was
> wondering what people think about it in our community?
>
> http://www.daemonology.net/blog/2017-05-11-plan-for-foss-maintainers.html
>
> Our community is smaller and a bit different from software, but I find
> the observations and idea quite interesting. In the HN discussion there
> are some good opinions about it, too. At FOSSi Foundation we have
> discussed code bounties etc. for LibreCores projects too and I more see
> it as a "future work", but I would be really curious to get some
> opinions from our community.
>
> Cheers,
> Stefan
>
> [1] https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=14313804

Hi Stefan,

I really like the overall idea of making it easier to provide support for
open source developers. I have previously worked in commercial projects
where we have paid open source developers for integration support and
adding fixes and features to their code, as an alternative to buying a
proprietary solution.

Of course, the devil is in the details here, and it's hard to say right
away which would be the best way to implement something like this. As you
say, our community is smaller, but that could maybe also work to our
advantage, as it might make it easier to concentrate efforts on some
components rather than getting lost among thousands of javascript or python
libraries.

I'm curious to hear other opinions on the topic too

Cheers,
Olof