[Librecores Discussion] [GSoC2017] What are your Verilog coding recommendations?

Matt P. Dziubinski matdzb at gmail.com
Tue May 30 15:12:27 CEST 2017

Hi!

One more resource which may be of use: OH! Open Hardware for Chip
Designers - Silicon proven Verilog library for IC and FPGA designers
https://github.com/parallella/oh
https://github.com/parallella/oh#design-guide
https://github.com/parallella/oh#coding-guide

I've found the aforementioned papers by Stuart Sutherland pretty
informative indeed -- as well as the ones by Cliff Cummings and Don Mills.
I've collected some of these resources here -- perhaps this will be of
some use:
https://github.com/MattPD/cpplinks/blob/master/comparch.fpga.md#systemverilog

On a more basic level, the following source offers a good explanation of
the best practice of using blocking assignments for combinational logic
(`=` & `always_comb`) vs. nonblocking assignments for sequential logic
(`<=` & `always_ff`): Appendix A "Hardware Description Languages" from
Neil Weste, David Harris (2010) "CMOS VLSI Design: A Circuits and
Systems Perspective" (4th Edition)
http://pages.hmc.edu/harris/cmosvlsi/4e/cmosvlsidesign_4e_App.pdf

As one data point, I was being able to synthesize designs in
SystemVerilog (for an iCE40 FPGA) using `always_comb` and `always_ff`
with Yosys.

Best,

Matt