[Librecores Discussion] Cocotb 1.1 is released!

Stefan Wallentowitz stefan at wallentowitz.de
Thu Jan 24 08:54:51 CET 2019

Hi Luke,

On 24.01.2019 00:13, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>  super: i really like cocotb.  can i ask a favour?  there is an axi4
> stream class that someone wrote: i have absolutely zero idea how to
> use it: it came without an actual "usage" example.  the code is just
> too obtuse and i simply do not have a handle on axi4 streams to be
> able to even know what to begin to do.
>
>  if i had even one example that transferred just one byte in each
> direction i would be able to adapt the example and use it to create a
> unit test for a libre axi4 audio streaming PHY created recently.

In my personal experience it makes sense to deep into cocotb a bit
before starting. I know that this may sound a bit strange, but as you
mention there is still some room for improvement in examples and
documentation to get started more easily.

In particular, the AXI modules already build on layers of abstraction
(BusDrivers and Monitors) that make it much more convenient to use. I
have recently (yesterday) written kind of similar modules that could
also be used in your example. They still need to undergo major
improvements to have the full power that the AXI modules have, but in
their current state they are maybe an actual example of how a
minimalistic usable cocotb module can look like:
https://github.com/wallento/cocomod-fifointerface. I will soon improve
and document the modules and some other testing infrastructure I am
currently building (e.g., https://github.com/wallento/riscv-cocotb). I
can keep you posted about updates.

Cheers,
Stefan