[Librecores Discussion] FOSS and proprietary FPGA verification as a service

Jean THOMAS moi at jeanthomas.me
Wed Aug 26 00:40:50 CEST 2020

Hi Christian,

As far as I know FOSS projects requiring proprietary simulators in their
CI builds are using their own private CI servers so that you can't
expose the license files and break the simulator's EULA. Here's an
example:
https://indico.cern.ch/event/799025/contributions/3523397/attachments/1901239/3138541/20190903_Continuous_Firmware_Integration_Glein.pdf

A related issue is the availability of open-source models for the FPGA
primitives (like DDR or PLL), which you need for testing low-level
things like PHYs. Currently you need to have a Vivado/Quartus/Diamond
license to get access to those files, and I'm afraid that prevents you
from using those on public CI services. Being able to use those models
in CI would be life-changing.

Jean