[Embench] Embench meeting/call 16 Dec 2019

Jeremy Bennett jeremy.bennett at embecosm.com
Sat Dec 14 12:30:17 CET 2019

Hash: SHA1

Hi all,

A reminder that our next regular meeting of the Embench group will be
on Monday, 16 December, 8-10am California time.

We will meet using the same Zoom details as before. Please email me if
you do not have them - I am reluctant to post details on an open
mailing list.


1. Actions from previous meeting
- --------------------------------

2. GitHub pull requests
- -----------------------

We have one pull request, from Ola Jepsson to have a configuration to
run Embench natively.


I think this is useful, but should not be the default - I have commented
on the pull request. I've asked Ola to join the call if possible on
Monday. In the meantime, please comment on the pull request

3. New GitHub issues
- --------------------

We have one new issue from Bruce Hoult.


This is an interesting small program. I think it duplicates programs we
already have in the mix. I discussed with Bruce and have suggested that
we need to start building up candidate replacement programs for when we
refresh Embench in two years time.

4. Website analytics
- --------------------

I understand this is now working. Update from Cesare Garlati

5. New baseline
- ---------------

It has been suggested that the Cortex M4 processor is a more appropriate
baseline for Embench. It is widely available real silicon with a well
established reputation in Industry. Low costs boards are readily
available from many sources.

It would therefore be a better choice than an arbitrary RI5CY softcore
model as a baseline.

We have M4 size baseline data. I am working on getting M4 speed baseline

How do the group feel about this?

6. Update on benchmarks
- -----------------------

All to report

7. EEMBC process
- ----------------

I have yet to engage with Peter Torelli. Now that Summit is out of the
way, I shall try to contact him again.

8. Process and documentation
- ----------------------------

Jon Taylor and Dave Patterson to report on progress with documentation.

9. Publicity
- ------------

@EmbenchOrg now has its first tweet

Nidal Faour has set up a LinkedIn organization for Embench.

At RISC-V Summit, Dave Patterson presented Embench, and I used Embench
in my talk on the state of open source compiler technology.

I missed the deadline for a main track talk at FOSDEM, but have a talk
accepted for the LLVM Dev Room on using Embench to evaluate the LLVM

10. More data
- ------------

There is now a repository for results. It is highly experimental, but I
wanted to put a placeholder down.


It holds the results of Embench runs as JSON files, and has a Python
script to generate a Markdown table in the README.md file of the
results. So far it has the data which informed the two talks at RISC-V
Summit, which includes size data for ARC, ARM and AVR as well as RISC-V.

At present the JSON files are in a flat directory. Some structure will
make the data easier to navigate. The use of Markdown tables is too
primitive. I shall investigate generating wiki tables instead, which
will allow readers to sort by different table column.

I am close to having Embench running properly on the FOMU RISC-V board,
which will give us real hardware speed data.

11. Next meeting
- ---------------

We meet regularly on the third Thursday of each month 8-10am
California time. Our next meeting will be Monday 20 January 2020.

12. AOB
- ------

Best wishes,

Jeremy Bennett
Vice chair

- -- 
Tel: +44 (1590) 610184
Cell: +44 (7970) 676050
SkypeID: jeremybennett
Twitter: @jeremypbennett
Email: jeremy.bennett at embecosm.com
Web: www.embecosm.com
PGP key: 1024D/BEF58172FB4754E1 2009-03-20


More information about the Embench mailing list