[Embench] Notes for Embench meeting/call 21 Oct 2019

Jeremy Bennett jeremy.bennett at embecosm.com
Mon Nov 18 14:27:55 CET 2019


-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Hi all,

Apologies for the late preparation of these notes. I look forward to
speaking at our monthly call later today.

Attendees
- ---------

Dave Patterson< University of California, Berkeley (Chair)
Jeremy Bennett, Embecosm (Vice-chair)
Bill McSpadden, Seagate
Ajay Joshi, Arm
Sarah Cook, Embecosm

0. Action Summary
- -----------------

Jeremy Bennett to update documentation

Dave Patterson to forward SPEC paper providing the justification for
using geometric mean/standard deviation.

Dave Patterson to follow up with Cesare Garlati regarding Embedded World

Jeremy Bennett to propose talks for FOSDEM

Jeremy Bennett to reach out to ARC team at Synopsys

1. GitHub pull requests
- -----------------------

The following pull requests were reviewed.

https://github.com/embench/embench-iot/pull/13
- - accept

https://github.com/embench/embench-iot/pull/14
- - accept subject to mods suggested by Jon Taylor

https://github.com/embench/embench-iot/pull/17
- - reject to keep diversity in the code

2. Website analytics
- --------------------

This is progressing

3. Update on benchmarks
- -----------------------

Jon Taylor's work with Embench and arm had identified a number of
problems with floating point in the benchmarks (even though these are
integer benchmarks, there is a small amount of floating point). These
have been fixed by pull request 14 above.

4. EEMBC process
- ----------------

Nothing to report

5. Process and documentation
- ----------------------------

Agreed that is OK to vary flags on each benchmark, if this is done
automatically (for example by machine learning).

The documentation has not kept up with the code base.
- - ACTION: Jeremy Bennett to update

6. Publicity
- ------------

Out talk has been accepted at the RISC-V Summit

The use of geometric mean/standard deviation was challenged at ORCONF
- - ACTION: Dave Patterson to forward SPEC paper providing the justification

ACTION: Dave Patterson to follow up with Cesare Garlati regarding
Embedded World

ACTION: Jeremy Bennett to propose talks for FOSDEM
- - main track and LLVM dev room

ACTION: Jeremy Bennett to reach out to ARC team at Synopsys

7. More data
- ------------

Nothing to report

8. Next meeting
- ---------------

Our next meeting will be Monday 18 November.

9. AOB
- ------

We received an offer to provide a benchmark

The minutes of the meeting on 16 September 2019 had not been fully
circulated. These were the key outcomes
- - compiler flags should be the same for all benchmarks
  (but note comment above about automated changing)
- - We should report both a performance result and a performance result
per MHz.
- - A revised talk will be submitted to the RISC-V Summit


Best wishes,


Jeremy
Vice chair

- -- 
Tel: +44 (1590) 610184
Cell: +44 (7970) 676050
SkypeID: jeremybennett
Twitter: @jeremypbennett
Email: jeremy.bennett at embecosm.com
Web: www.embecosm.com
PGP key: 1024D/BEF58172FB4754E1 2009-03-20
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iEYEARECAAYFAl3SnFoACgkQvvWBcvtHVOH1vwCfeMprlLlhI0HIqgjB6RvuLUVe
s9kAn2panuQ5ByL7SQ2mqhOds1gcwy/p
=faFI
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----



More information about the Embench mailing list