[Embench] Embench meeting/call 16 Sep 2019

Jeremy Bennett jeremy.bennett at embecosm.com
Sat Sep 14 14:23:57 CEST 2019


-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Hi all,

A reminder that our next regular meeting of the Embench group will be
next Monday, 16 September, 8-10am California time.

We will meet using the same Zoom details as before. Please email me if
you do not have them - I am reluctant to post details on an open
mailing list.

Agenda
======

1. Sysadmin, github, mailing list and web analytics
- ---------------------------------------------------

Cesare Garlati's context switching benchmark has been moved into the
Embench github organization:

  https://github.com/embench/embench-context-latency

Cesare Garlati to report on website analytics.

2. Build system
- ---------------

The python build system has been merged and is stable.

Jeremy Bennett is working on a new version, which will give greater
flexibility when building for real hardware and with multipass
compilation (for example when using PGO or iterative compilation).

This is the interim solution. Our plan is to move to Western Digital's
enterprise build system in 2020.

3. Update on benchmarks
- -----------------------

Jon Taylor and Cesare Garlati to update on crypto benchmarks.

No response to mailing list request for help with BlueTooth LE.

Jeremy Bennett to report on progress porting the context switch
benchmark to ARM.

Two benchmarks use assert() macros, which pull in a huge amount of
library for code that should never be invoked. These have been
replaced with a simple dummy assert macro, which just calls exit() if
ever triggered. This is the same approach used with other library
calls, such as rand() to ensure reproducibility. See the discussion at

  https://lists.librecores.org/pipermail/embench/2019-August/000007.html

4. Process and documentation
- ----------------------------

Peter Torelli to report on feedback from the EEMBC committee.

Jon Taylor and Dave Patterson to report on progress with documentation.

There is an ongoing discussion on the mailing list about how to
measure size of compiled code. Please join in. In due course the
benchmark scripts will reflect the outcome of this discussion.

  https://lists.librecores.org/pipermail/embench/2019-August/000005.html

There is a known issue with the README on the GitHub repository being
out of step with the new Python build scripts. Action for Jeremy
Bennett to fix.

5. Publicity
- ------------

All to report on speaking and other publicity opportunities.

Dave Patterson has submitted a paper to Embedded World in Nuremberg,
which we plan will be our official launch (February 2020).

Dave has also submitted a talk to the RISC-V Summit in San Jose
(December 2019).

By the time of the meeting, Jeremy Bennett will have presented Embench
at the GNU Tools Cauldron in Montreal

Jeremy Bennett will present Embench at ORConf in Bordeaux at the end
of September.

6. More data
- ------------

Any reports on new data points.

7. Next meeting
- ---------------

We meet regularly on the third Thursday of each month 8-10am
California time. Our next meeting will be Monday 21 October.

8. AOB
- ------

Best wishes,


Jeremy
Vice chair

- -- 
Tel: +44 (1590) 610184
Cell: +44 (7970) 676050
SkypeID: jeremybennett
Twitter: @jeremypbennett
Email: jeremy.bennett at embecosm.com
Web: www.embecosm.com
PGP key: 1024D/BEF58172FB4754E1 2009-03-20
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iEYEARECAAYFAl1829cACgkQvvWBcvtHVOGaGgCfTvnR2kGnq7+/PMb+VW6Z+YQS
xjEAn3kB8dn4zArDEiFuXEYALBhZaJ7F
=ss9/
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----



More information about the Embench mailing list