[Embench] Notes from Embench call 9 Mar 2020

Jeremy Bennett jeremy.bennett at embecosm.com
Thu Apr 16 18:14:53 CEST 2020

These are the notes from last month's meeting, summarizing actions.

2. GitHub pull requests
- -----------------------

The following pull request to provide support for ARC GCC target is
under review.

  https://github.com/embench/embench-iot/pull/49

Thanks to Claudiu Zissulescu for this patch

3. New GitHub issues
- --------------------

https://github.com/embench/embench-iot/issues/39
- - it was agreed that external repositories are OK, so long as they are
tagged and maintained to allow others to reproduce results.
- - Thanks to Greg Chadwick of the Ibex/OpenTitan project for raising
the issue.

https://github.com/embench/embench-iot/issues/40
- - bug under investigation
- - Thanks to Tilakbg90 for raising the issue.

https://github.com/embench/embench-iot/issues/47
- - bug under investigation
- - Thanks to lidija-b for raising the issue.

4. Website analytics
- --------------------

Work is in progress with Stefan Wallentowitz on obtaining better
website data (ongoing action from previous meeting).

ACTION: Jeremy Bennett. We need the website to link to talks on Embench.

5. EEMBC process
- ----------------

Jeremy Bennett met with Peter Torelli at Embedded World, the
discussion was supportive of Embench, but at the present time, EEMBC
do not plan to offer a validation service. This is a matter of scale,
and the decision may be reviewed if Embench becomes widely adopted.

6. Update on benchmarks
- -----------------------

Embench 0.5 using the Cortex M4 processor was committed and tagged as
a release in the repository just before Embedded World. Thanks to Jon
Taylor and David Patterson for updating the documentation. The source
code is available as a ZIP or compressed tar download for those not
wishing to do battle with git.

Work is in progress on a new version of the embench-iot-results
repository to allow results to be captured.

7. Process and documentation
- ----------------------------

See previous item on documentation for the Embench 0.5 release.

8. Publicity
- ------------

The launch of Embench 0.5 at Embedded World was well attended, with
exclusive coverage by Electronics Weekly:

https://www.electronicsweekly.com/news/embench-launch-embedded-world-2020-02/

David Patterson will submit an abstract to Hot Chips by the deadline
of 23 March. The goal is go cover
- - ARC
- - MIPS
- - Tensilica
- - LLVM
- - GCC 10.1
- - Embench for Ada

Kyriakos Georgiou of AdaCore and Bristol University presented some
initial ideas on how to prepare an Ada version of Embench to be built
with the GNAT compiler. The meeting encouraged him to continue working
on this.

9. Next meeting
- ---------------

We currently meet regularly on the third Monday of each month 8-10am
California time. Our future meetings will be
- - Mon 20 Apr 2020
- - Mon 11 May 2020 (changed)
- - Mon 15 Jun 2020
- - Mon 20 Jul 2020
- - Mon 10 Aug 2020 (changed)
- - Mon 21 Sep 2020
- - Mon 19 Oct 2020
- - Mon 16 Nov 2020
- - Mon 14 Dec 2020 (changed)

Note that some dates have been changed to accommodate conferences and
holidays.

I have a calendar entry for our regular attendees, to provide
automated reminders. Please ask if you wish to be added to this.

Our April videoconference is next Monday, 20 April at 08:00 California
time. I shall send out an agenda over the weekend.

Email: jeremy.bennett at embecosm.com