[Embench] Embench meeting/call 20 Apr 2020

Jeremy Bennett jeremy.bennett at embecosm.com
Mon Apr 20 12:25:51 CEST 2020

Our next regular meeting of the Embench group will be today Monday, 20
April, 8-10am California time.

We will meet using the same Zoom details as before. Please email me if
you do not have them - I am reluctant to post details on an open
mailing list.

Agenda
======

1. Actions from previous meeting
- --------------------------------

ACTION: Paolo Savini. Review pull request 49 (ARC support)
- - in progress

ACTION: Jeremy Bennett. Investigate issue 40 (multiple text section
size incorrect)
- - in progress, patch invited from issue reporter.
- - subsumed by issue 52.

ACTION: Paolo Savini. Investigate issue 47 (native build results wrong)
- - in progress, suggestions made to diagnose issue.

ACTION: Jeremy Bennett to progress better website analytics with
Stefan Wallentowitz.
- - In progress.

ACTION: Jeremy Bennett. Update embench-iot-results repository to
reflect Embench 0.5
- - in progress.

ACTION: David Patterson. Submit abstract to HotChips.
- - complete.

ACTION: Jeremy Bennett. Revise calendar of 2020 meetings to allow for
conferences and holidays.
- - complete.

2. GitHub pull requests
- -----------------------

The following pull request has been submitted:

https://github.com/embench/embench-iot/pull/49
- - Update ARC GCC target
- - Thanks to Claudiu Zissulescu for this patch
- - Some changes requested to separate out ARC changes from other target
changes. Otherwise good to merge.

https://github.com/embench/embench-iot/pull/54
- - Remove redundant code from STM32F4 Discovery board support
- - Thanks to Paolo Savini for this patch
- - Merged.

3. New GitHub issues
- --------------------

https://github.com/embench/embench-iot/issues/51
- - Problems with spaces when setting tool flag options
- - This appears to be a bug - assigned to Paolo Savini to fix
- - Thanks to Mark Hill for raising the issue.

https://github.com/embench/embench-iot/issues/52
- - Incorrect reporting of code size.
- - This is a more comprehensive version of issue 40, with suggested fix.
- - Assigned to Paolo Savini to fix.
- - Thanks to Mark Hill for raising the issue.

https://github.com/embench/embench-iot/issues/52
- - Inconsistent speed results on VexRiscv core
- - This appears to be an issue with a non-bare-metal multi-core system
- - Some suggestions provided - an issue for future Embench
- - Thanks to genesys2 for raising the issue.

4. Website analytics
- --------------------

Update from Cesare Garlati

Jeremy Bennett will report on progress with Stefan Wallentowitz on
obtaining better website data (action in progress from previous meeting).

5. Update on benchmarks
- -----------------------

The priority has been to get the results repository clean, so that
there is a place where results can be submitted.

6. Publicity
- ------------

An abstract has been submitted  to Hot Chips. What other conferences
are to be anticipated?

7. Next meeting
- ---------------

We currently meet regularly on the third Monday of each month 8-10am
California time. Our future meetings will be. Note that 3 dates have
been changed to accommodate upcoming conferences/holidays.
- - Mon 11 May 2020 (changed)
- - Mon 15 Jun 2020
- - Mon 20 Jul 2020
- - Mon 10 Aug 2020 (changed)
- - Mon 21 Sep 2020
- - Mon 19 Oct 2020
- - Mon 16 Nov 2020
- - Mon 14 Dec 2020 (changed)

I've created a calendar entry for our regular attendees, to provide
automated reminders. Please ask if you wish to be added to this.

8. AOB
- ------

Best wishes,

Jeremy Bennett