[Embench] Embench meeting/call 10 August 2020

Jeremy Bennett jeremy.bennett at embecosm.com
Sun Aug 9 15:18:21 CEST 2020

Hash: SHA256

Hi all,

Our next regular meeting of the Embench group will be tomorrow Monday,
10 August, 8-9am California time. This is a week earlier than our
regular cycle because of possible conference clashes next week.

Since it is only 3 weeks since our last call, this may be a relatively
light meeting.

We shall meet using the same Zoom details as before. I have changed
the settings to remove the waiting room, so there should be no delays
in joining from now on.

Please email me if you do not have the Zoom meeting details - I am
reluctant to post details on an open mailing list.


1. Actions from previous meeting
- --------------------------------

ACTION: Jeremy to add tutorial example to reproduce baseline results
in documentation.
- - captured as GitHub issue 68
- - in progress

ACTION (ongoing): Roger Shepherd to provide Embench results for ST dev
boards, Apple Macs and Raspberry Pi.
- - in progress
- - Roger to report, see agenda item 4.

ACTION: Jeremy Bennett/Paolo Savini to attempt to get results for
Atmel AVR using Arduino.
- - in progress

ACTION: Jeremy Bennett to explore alternatives to Google Docs for
- - in progress

ACTION (ongoing): Ray Simar to set class project to come up with new
benchmarks based on the TinyML book.

ACTION (ongoing): Ray Simar to continue work on BDTI benchmarks,
including how they would be licensed (anything GPL compatible is fine).

ACTION: Jeremy to set up repository, with Ray as co-owner for FP Embench
- - complete

ACTION: Jeremy to reissue 10 August invitation.
- - complete

2. GitHub pull requests
- -----------------------

- From embench-iot:

- - adds missing prerequsite to documentation
- - merged.
- - thanks to Jeremy Bennett for the fix

- - remove Python 3.6 dependency when checking version
- - merged
- - thanks to Nidal Faour for the fix

- - make scripts work with older versions of Python
- - rejected - previous design decision to use Python 3.6
- - thanks to Nidal Faour proposing this solution

- - resolves issue #84
- - under revision
- - thanks to Roger Shepherd for the fix

- From embench-iot-results:


3. New GitHub issues
- --------------------

- From embench-iot:

- - parameter value priority order is unclear
- - the structure of config files needs cleaning up
- - thanks to Roger Shepherd for raising this

- - -gc-sections is -dead-strip in the Apple linker
- - this issue will largely go away when we get rid of dummy libs
- - any residual documentation should be updated.
- - thanks to Roger Shepherd for raising this

- - documentation incorrectly says --chip and --board are mandatory
- - bug in the documentation to be fixed.
- - thanks to Roger Shepherd for raising this

- - native target truncates time measurements
- - appears to be a bug in run_native.py
- - thanks to Samuel Obuch for raising this

- - error in logging failed command when running benchmarks
- - but benchmark_speed.py
- - thanks to Samuel Obuch for raising this

- - unclear naming convention for Python modules in benchmark_speed.py
- - bug in the documentation
- - thanks to Roger Shepherd for raising this

- From embench-iot-results:


4. Update on benchmarks
- -----------------------

Roger Shepherd will report on his progress with benchmarking other

5. Publicity
- ------------

We were unfortunately not accepted for Arm TechCon

Jeremy Bennett is speaking at VSDOpen in October, a conference for
students in India. Although the talk has quite a broad abstract, it
will use Embench as an example of the bridge between hardware and
software in open source.

6. Embench 0.6
- --------------

There is an ongoing shared document to add potential programs for a
new floating point benchmark suite:


This has been updated with the candidate programs from BEEBS.

Ray Sinar is leading the effort to develop the FP benchmark suite with
his students during the coming semester.

A reminder that we need volunteers to lead particular aspects of
current and future efforts.

7. Next meeting
- ---------------

We currently meet regularly on the third Monday of each month 8-10am
California time. Our future meetings will be. Note that the Decmember
date has been changed to avoid the week before Christmas.
- - Mon 21 Sep 2020
- - Mon 19 Oct 2020
- - Mon 16 Nov 2020
- - Mon 14 Dec 2020 (changed)

At our next meeting, I shall propose dates for 2021.

I've created a calendar entry for our regular attendees, to provide
automated reminders. Please ask if you wish to be added to this.

8. AOB
- ------

Best wishes,

Jeremy Bennett
Vice chair
- -- 
Cell: +44 (7970) 676050
SkypeID: jeremybennett
Twitter: @jeremypbennett
Email: jeremy.bennett at embecosm.com
Web: www.embecosm.com
PGP key: 1024D/BEF58172FB4754E1 2009-03-20


More information about the Embench mailing list