[Embench] Embench meeting/call 10 August 2020

Stefan Wallentowitz stefan at fossi-foundation.org
Mon Aug 10 15:38:06 CEST 2020


Hi,

I cannot make it today, but was wondering if we want to have a regular
update posted on the website? Release notes and links to video
recordings of talks and news articles might be a cheap start for
content, right?

Cheers,
Stefan


On 09.08.20 15:18, Jeremy Bennett wrote:
> Hi all,
> 
> Our next regular meeting of the Embench group will be tomorrow Monday,
> 10 August, 8-9am California time. This is a week earlier than our
> regular cycle because of possible conference clashes next week.
> 
> Since it is only 3 weeks since our last call, this may be a relatively
> light meeting.
> 
> We shall meet using the same Zoom details as before. I have changed
> the settings to remove the waiting room, so there should be no delays
> in joining from now on.
> 
> Please email me if you do not have the Zoom meeting details - I am
> reluctant to post details on an open mailing list.
> 
> Agenda
> ======
> 
> 1. Actions from previous meeting
> --------------------------------
> 
> ACTION: Jeremy to add tutorial example to reproduce baseline results
> in documentation.
> - captured as GitHub issue 68
> - in progress
> 
> ACTION (ongoing): Roger Shepherd to provide Embench results for ST dev
> boards, Apple Macs and Raspberry Pi.
> - in progress
> - Roger to report, see agenda item 4.
> 
> ACTION: Jeremy Bennett/Paolo Savini to attempt to get results for
> Atmel AVR using Arduino.
> - in progress
> 
> ACTION: Jeremy Bennett to explore alternatives to Google Docs for
> presentations
> - in progress
> 
> ACTION (ongoing): Ray Simar to set class project to come up with new
> benchmarks based on the TinyML book.
> 
> ACTION (ongoing): Ray Simar to continue work on BDTI benchmarks,
> including how they would be licensed (anything GPL compatible is fine).
> 
> ACTION: Jeremy to set up repository, with Ray as co-owner for FP Embench
> - complete
> 
> ACTION: Jeremy to reissue 10 August invitation.
> - complete
> 
> 2. GitHub pull requests
> -----------------------
> 
> - From embench-iot:
> 
> https://github.com/embench/embench-iot/pull/75
> - adds missing prerequsite to documentation
> - merged.
> - thanks to Jeremy Bennett for the fix
> 
> https://github.com/embench/embench-iot/pull/80
> - remove Python 3.6 dependency when checking version
> - merged
> - thanks to Nidal Faour for the fix
> 
> https://github.com/embench/embench-iot/pull/82
> - make scripts work with older versions of Python
> - rejected - previous design decision to use Python 3.6
> - thanks to Nidal Faour proposing this solution
> 
> https://github.com/embench/embench-iot/pull/5
> - resolves issue #84
> - under revision
> - thanks to Roger Shepherd for the fix
> 
> - From embench-iot-results:
> 
> None
> 
> 3. New GitHub issues
> --------------------
> 
> - From embench-iot:
> 
> https://github.com/embench/embench-iot/issues/76
> - parameter value priority order is unclear
> - the structure of config files needs cleaning up
> - thanks to Roger Shepherd for raising this
> 
> https://github.com/embench/embench-iot/issues/77
> - -gc-sections is -dead-strip in the Apple linker
> - this issue will largely go away when we get rid of dummy libs
> - any residual documentation should be updated.
> - thanks to Roger Shepherd for raising this
> 
> https://github.com/embench/embench-iot/issues/78
> - documentation incorrectly says --chip and --board are mandatory
> - bug in the documentation to be fixed.
> - thanks to Roger Shepherd for raising this
> 
> https://github.com/embench/embench-iot/issues/81
> - native target truncates time measurements
> - appears to be a bug in run_native.py
> - thanks to Samuel Obuch for raising this
> 
> https://github.com/embench/embench-iot/issues/83
> - error in logging failed command when running benchmarks
> - but benchmark_speed.py
> - thanks to Samuel Obuch for raising this
> 
> https://github.com/embench/embench-iot/issues/84
> - unclear naming convention for Python modules in benchmark_speed.py
> - bug in the documentation
> - thanks to Roger Shepherd for raising this
> 
> - From embench-iot-results:
> 
> None
> 
> 4. Update on benchmarks
> -----------------------
> 
> Roger Shepherd will report on his progress with benchmarking other
> platforms.
> 
> 5. Publicity
> ------------
> 
> We were unfortunately not accepted for Arm TechCon
> 
> Jeremy Bennett is speaking at VSDOpen in October, a conference for
> students in India. Although the talk has quite a broad abstract, it
> will use Embench as an example of the bridge between hardware and
> software in open source.
> 
> 6. Embench 0.6
> --------------
> 
> There is an ongoing shared document to add potential programs for a
> new floating point benchmark suite:
> 
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tC0LXZRYeyoSRTM9aXtapzx3sA00vfFcL9QjOxU3vzQ
> 
> This has been updated with the candidate programs from BEEBS.
> 
> Ray Sinar is leading the effort to develop the FP benchmark suite with
> his students during the coming semester.
> 
> A reminder that we need volunteers to lead particular aspects of
> current and future efforts.
> 
> 7. Next meeting
> ---------------
> 
> We currently meet regularly on the third Monday of each month 8-10am
> California time. Our future meetings will be. Note that the Decmember
> date has been changed to avoid the week before Christmas.
> - Mon 21 Sep 2020
> - Mon 19 Oct 2020
> - Mon 16 Nov 2020
> - Mon 14 Dec 2020 (changed)
> 
> At our next meeting, I shall propose dates for 2021.
> 
> I've created a calendar entry for our regular attendees, to provide
> automated reminders. Please ask if you wish to be added to this.
> 
> 8. AOB
> ------
> 
> Best wishes,
> 
> 
> Jeremy Bennett
> Vice chair
>

-- 
Stefan Wallentowitz
Director
Free and Open Source Silicon Foundation, https://fossi.foundation

-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: signature.asc
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 195 bytes
Desc: OpenPGP digital signature
URL: <http://lists.librecores.org/pipermail/embench/attachments/20200810/44472d8d/attachment.sig>


More information about the Embench mailing list