[Embench] Embench meeting/call 10 August 2020

Stefan Wallentowitz stefan at fossi-foundation.org
Mon Aug 10 15:58:42 CEST 2020


It's markdown actually and you can put html into it too if you prefer
that ;) Happy to assist with that, also create the content. We can
discuss this in the next call that I will make hopefully.

Meanwhile, if anyone has a few lines of news, summary, tutorial etc.
please just drop me a mail.

Best,
Stefan

On 10.08.20 15:54, Jeremy Bennett wrote:
> On 10/08/2020 14:38, Stefan Wallentowitz wrote:
>> Hi,
> 
>> I cannot make it today, but was wondering if we want to have a
>> regular update posted on the website? Release notes and links to
>> video recordings of talks and news articles might be a cheap start
>> for content, right?
> 
> Hi Stefan,
> 
> Yes. Bottleneck is me learning how to drive a YAML based website :-(
> Would be delighted if anyone else could pick this up.
> 
> Sorry you won't be on the call.
> 
> Thanks,
> 
> 
> Jeremy
> 
> 
>> Cheers, Stefan
> 
> 
>> On 09.08.20 15:18, Jeremy Bennett wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Our next regular meeting of the Embench group will be tomorrow
>>> Monday, 10 August, 8-9am California time. This is a week earlier
>>> than our regular cycle because of possible conference clashes
>>> next week.
>>>
>>> Since it is only 3 weeks since our last call, this may be a
>>> relatively light meeting.
>>>
>>> We shall meet using the same Zoom details as before. I have
>>> changed the settings to remove the waiting room, so there should
>>> be no delays in joining from now on.
>>>
>>> Please email me if you do not have the Zoom meeting details - I
>>> am reluctant to post details on an open mailing list.
>>>
>>> Agenda ======
>>>
>>> 1. Actions from previous meeting
>>> --------------------------------
>>>
>>> ACTION: Jeremy to add tutorial example to reproduce baseline
>>> results in documentation. - captured as GitHub issue 68 - in
>>> progress
>>>
>>> ACTION (ongoing): Roger Shepherd to provide Embench results for
>>> ST dev boards, Apple Macs and Raspberry Pi. - in progress - Roger
>>> to report, see agenda item 4.
>>>
>>> ACTION: Jeremy Bennett/Paolo Savini to attempt to get results
>>> for Atmel AVR using Arduino. - in progress
>>>
>>> ACTION: Jeremy Bennett to explore alternatives to Google Docs
>>> for presentations - in progress
>>>
>>> ACTION (ongoing): Ray Simar to set class project to come up with
>>> new benchmarks based on the TinyML book.
>>>
>>> ACTION (ongoing): Ray Simar to continue work on BDTI benchmarks,
>>> including how they would be licensed (anything GPL compatible is
>>> fine).
>>>
>>> ACTION: Jeremy to set up repository, with Ray as co-owner for FP
>>> Embench - complete
>>>
>>> ACTION: Jeremy to reissue 10 August invitation. - complete
>>>
>>> 2. GitHub pull requests -----------------------
>>>
>>> - From embench-iot:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/embench/embench-iot/pull/75 - adds missing
>>> prerequsite to documentation - merged. - thanks to Jeremy Bennett
>>> for the fix
>>>
>>> https://github.com/embench/embench-iot/pull/80 - remove Python
>>> 3.6 dependency when checking version - merged - thanks to Nidal
>>> Faour for the fix
>>>
>>> https://github.com/embench/embench-iot/pull/82 - make scripts
>>> work with older versions of Python - rejected - previous design
>>> decision to use Python 3.6 - thanks to Nidal Faour proposing this
>>> solution
>>>
>>> https://github.com/embench/embench-iot/pull/5 - resolves issue
>>> #84 - under revision - thanks to Roger Shepherd for the fix
>>>
>>> - From embench-iot-results:
>>>
>>> None
>>>
>>> 3. New GitHub issues --------------------
>>>
>>> - From embench-iot:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/embench/embench-iot/issues/76 - parameter
>>> value priority order is unclear - the structure of config files
>>> needs cleaning up - thanks to Roger Shepherd for raising this
>>>
>>> https://github.com/embench/embench-iot/issues/77 - -gc-sections
>>> is -dead-strip in the Apple linker - this issue will largely go
>>> away when we get rid of dummy libs - any residual documentation
>>> should be updated. - thanks to Roger Shepherd for raising this
>>>
>>> https://github.com/embench/embench-iot/issues/78 - documentation
>>> incorrectly says --chip and --board are mandatory - bug in the
>>> documentation to be fixed. - thanks to Roger Shepherd for raising
>>> this
>>>
>>> https://github.com/embench/embench-iot/issues/81 - native target
>>> truncates time measurements - appears to be a bug in
>>> run_native.py - thanks to Samuel Obuch for raising this
>>>
>>> https://github.com/embench/embench-iot/issues/83 - error in
>>> logging failed command when running benchmarks - but
>>> benchmark_speed.py - thanks to Samuel Obuch for raising this
>>>
>>> https://github.com/embench/embench-iot/issues/84 - unclear naming
>>> convention for Python modules in benchmark_speed.py - bug in the
>>> documentation - thanks to Roger Shepherd for raising this
>>>
>>> - From embench-iot-results:
>>>
>>> None
>>>
>>> 4. Update on benchmarks -----------------------
>>>
>>> Roger Shepherd will report on his progress with benchmarking
>>> other platforms.
>>>
>>> 5. Publicity ------------
>>>
>>> We were unfortunately not accepted for Arm TechCon
>>>
>>> Jeremy Bennett is speaking at VSDOpen in October, a conference
>>> for students in India. Although the talk has quite a broad
>>> abstract, it will use Embench as an example of the bridge between
>>> hardware and software in open source.
>>>
>>> 6. Embench 0.6 --------------
>>>
>>> There is an ongoing shared document to add potential programs for
>>> a new floating point benchmark suite:
>>>
>>>
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tC0LXZRYeyoSRTM9aXtapzx3sA00vfFcL9QjOxU3vzQ
>>>
>>>
>>>
> This has been updated with the candidate programs from BEEBS.
>>>
>>> Ray Sinar is leading the effort to develop the FP benchmark suite
>>> with his students during the coming semester.
>>>
>>> A reminder that we need volunteers to lead particular aspects of
>>> current and future efforts.
>>>
>>> 7. Next meeting ---------------
>>>
>>> We currently meet regularly on the third Monday of each month
>>> 8-10am California time. Our future meetings will be. Note that
>>> the Decmember date has been changed to avoid the week before
>>> Christmas. - Mon 21 Sep 2020 - Mon 19 Oct 2020 - Mon 16 Nov 2020
>>> - Mon 14 Dec 2020 (changed)
>>>
>>> At our next meeting, I shall propose dates for 2021.
>>>
>>> I've created a calendar entry for our regular attendees, to
>>> provide automated reminders. Please ask if you wish to be added
>>> to this.
>>>
>>> 8. AOB ------
>>>
>>> Best wishes,
>>>
>>>
>>> Jeremy Bennett Vice chair
>>>
> 
> 
> 
> 
>

-- 
Stefan Wallentowitz
Director
Free and Open Source Silicon Foundation, https://fossi.foundation

-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: signature.asc
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 195 bytes
Desc: OpenPGP digital signature
URL: <http://lists.librecores.org/pipermail/embench/attachments/20200810/abf39562/attachment.sig>


More information about the Embench mailing list