[Embench] New Embench FP suite repository

Jeremy Bennett jeremy.bennett at embecosm.com
Wed Jul 22 20:47:02 CEST 2020

On 22/07/2020 19:24, Ray Simar wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This all sounds great.  I wanted to ask about the long term
> architecture of the repository.  I can see that this repository
> might include a number of things.  For example, it would certainly
> have floating-point benchmarks and the necessary data to test
> them.
>
> But I wonder about other content.  For example, we might have adoc
> files to document the philosophy behind the benchmarks, rules for
> running them etc.  And, at some point there might be make files to
> build them etc., though I could see these residing elsewhere.

(moving to mailing list discussion)

Hi Ray,

For embench-iot we went down the python route, because we perceived
that Makefile technology was not flexible enough for all the ways you
might want to both build and run the benchmarks. The original BEEBS
was makefile based, and really painful to use and maintain.

There is a hope that we will move to a Western Digital platform for
building and running everything.

We have a documentation directory for embench-iot, and have generally
stuck to MarkDown, since it seems so ubiquitous, and everyone knows
how to use it. I have used Asciidoc - the RISC-V Foundation likes it,
and it is supported by GitHub. The problem is it has something of a
learning curve for new contributors. Plus the tool support for
previewing before you commit is poor. But would be interesting to hear
what others think.

One thing we did establish was a strict discipline on git commit
messages, following GNU ChangeLog principles. If this is to be a long
term project, maintaining good records is essential - the embench-iot
repo has examples.

> Now, I know I am new to this effort, so I want to be sure I do
> things with the repository that are consistent with the long term
> vision.  We could begin to flesh out the repository with the stubs
> for this now.  My experience is that it is best to rought out some
> of this now, rather than later.  But, I’ll follow your lead on
> this.

Embench is stil quite new, so we are establishing how we do things.
Input from the wider community is welcome, and you have the
opportunity to try new things with the floating point Embench project.

Email: jeremy.bennett at embecosm.com