[Embench] Fwd: "Embench"ing open source FPGA soft cores

David Patterson davidpatterson at google.com
Thu Oct 15 05:57:20 CEST 2020

Anyone want to comment on this?
Dave

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Tim 'mithro' Ansell <tansell at google.com>
Date: Wed, Oct 14, 2020 at 3:20 PM
Subject: "Embench"ing open source FPGA soft cores
To: David Patterson <davidpatterson at google.com>

Hi Dave!

I thought you might get a kick out of this.

We have been working with Antmicro to enable automatically running Embench
on all the soft CPU cores that our SoC builder supports so that we can
track the changing performance over time. They wrote up this work at
https://antmicro.com/blog/2020/09/automatic-cpu-testing-with-embench/

The code is at https://github.com/antmicro/embench-tester
The results are at https://antmicro.github.io/embench-tester/

The automated tests are running inside Verilator but we also have support
for running on real hardware. This has already shown a bunch of simple
silly performances bottlenecks that can be easily fixed.

As this work stabilizes, do you think donating this work to the FOSSi
Foundation's embench group would make sense?

Hope you are doing well!

Tim 'mithro' Ansell