[Embench] Notes from Embench call 21 September 2020

Jeremy Bennett jeremy.bennett at embecosm.com
Fri Oct 16 16:15:21 CEST 2020

Hash: SHA1

Hi all,

Apologies for the delay. I wrote the notes, but failed to send them
out. These are the notes from September's meeting, summarizing actions.

0. Welcome new participants
- ---------------------------

Ben Marshall from Bristol University
Mark Himmelstein from RISC-V International
Tariq Kurd from Huawei

1. Actions from previous meetings
- ---------------------------------

ACTION: Jeremy to add tutorial example to reproduce baseline results
in documentation.
- - captured as GitHub issue 68
- - in progress

ACTION (ongoing): Roger Shepherd to provide Embench results for ST dev
boards, Apple Macs and Raspberry Pi.
- - in progress

ACTION: Jeremy Bennett/Paolo Savini to attempt to get results for
Atmel AVR using Arduino.
- - in progress

ACTION: Jeremy Bennett to explore alternatives to Google Docs for
- - Open Document Format version prepared
- - hieroglyph version in progress

ACTION (ongoing): Ray Simar to set class project to come up with new
benchmarks based on the TinyML book.
- - in porgress
- - Ray to report in item 6

ACTION: Jeremy Bennett to update documentation to advise that Python
minimum version 3.6 is required.
- - in progress

2. GitHub pull requests
- -----------------------

- From embench-iot:

- - update doc/README.md to explain Python module naming
- - merged
- - thanks to Roger Shepherd for the fix

- - fix GCC specific and ISO C compliance error
- - resolves issue 72
- - merged
- - thanks to Paolo Savini for the fix

- - fix error in result decoding
- - merged
- - thanks to Samuel Obuch for the fix

- - log all arguments on failure of benchmark_speed.py
- - merged
- - thanks to Samuel Obuch for the fix

- - fix typo in comment
- - merged
- - thanks to Roger Shepherd for the fix

- From embench-iot-results:


Thank you to everyone who contributed pull requests.

3. New GitHub issues
- --------------------

- From embench-iot:

- - note python prequisite version
- - bug assigned to Jeremy Bennett
- - in progress
- - thanks to Ofer Shinaar for raising this

- - problems building benchmark
- - resolved
- - thanks to Nagendra Gulur for raising this
- - thanks to Samuel Obuch for the resolution

- - need for a standard citation for Embench
- - see agenda item 5
- - thanks to Ben Marshall for raising this

- - how to reproduce Embench for riscv32
- - assigned to Jeremy Bennett & Paolo Savini
- - discussion in progress
- - thanks to Huaqi Fang for raising this

- From embench-iot-results:


Thanks to all those who raised issues and provided responses.

4. Update on benchmarks
- -----------------------

Paolo Savini shared the latest results.

Slide 7 - mention board and compiler version

Compare with Arm - were cache's used - probably not for Cortex M4

Slide 25 needs warning not to use

Is outlining implemented for RISC-V Clang/LLVM?

For bit manipulation slides 27-30 could show actual scores

Need to get real hardware for RISC-V results. HiFive1?

5. Publicity
- ------------

Stefan Wallentowitz is putting together an interview style blog post
about Embench, based on interview responses from Dave Patterson and
Jeremy Bennett.

ACTION: Jeremy to push to conclusion with Embecosm

A new version of a generic presentation on Embench will be circulated
at the meeting.

ACTION: Jeremy Bennett to finalize in light of feedback and circulate
with minutes.

Ben Marshall has raised the question of a standard citation for
Embench. Currently he is using:

title={Embench: Open Benchmarks for Embedded Platforms},
author={David Patterson and Jeremy Bennett and Palmer Dabbelt, Cesare
Garlati and G. S. Madhusudan and Trevor Mudge},

He has asked if there is a better citation he should be using.

Reference tagging.

There is also a SIGArch blog post.

Should we have an archive paper? Can update as we go. Also may last
longer than GitHub. History and current results

ACTION: David Patterson to prepare draft paper.

David Patterson spoke at the Embedded Vision conference last week.
Follow up Q&A on22 September

Jeremy Bennett is giving a keynote talk at the 3rd Workshop on RISC-V
Activities held by Edacentrum, Germany. The talk will be looking at
the RISC-V Software Ecosystem. The final part of the talk explores the
importance of benchmarking in developing that ecosystem.

- - workshop: https://www.edacentrum.de/en/events/risc-v/2020/program
- - talk abstract: https://www.edacentrum.de/risc-v-software-ecosystem

Jeremy Bennett is speaking at VSDOpen on 10 October, a conference for
students in India. Although the talk has quite a broad abstract, it
will use Embench as an example of the bridge between hardware and
software in open source.
- - conference: https://www.vlsisystemdesign.com/vsdopen/

6. Embench 0.6
- --------------

There is an ongoing shared document to add potential programs for a
new floating point benchmark suite:


Ray Sinar and his students at RICE are leading the effort to develop
the FP benchmark suite with his students during the coming semester.
Ray to report.
- - focus on DSP benchmarks from BDTI (FIR, IIR, FFT, vector dot-product)
- - teams have been formed - 10 person team
- - set of goals  as go through semester
- - getting benchmarks written should be good
- - challenges around data, self-testing
- - want to run on some microprocessor platforms
  - talked to Arm, SiFive and Tensilica
- - carry on past this semester, hope to keep going
- - wrestle with practical issues between floating point and fixed point
  - easier to start with floating point
  - BDTI came from fixed point
- - students can also sign up for TinyML (3 dozen signed up)
  - going to produce benchmark, but not main task
    - David Patterson noted that MLPerf has a TinyML effort

Willing to accept more ideas for floating point
- - Mark Hill suggested Kalman filter

A reminder that we need volunteers to lead particular aspects of
current and future efforts.

7. Future meetings
- ------------------

We currently meet regularly on the third Monday of each month 8-9am
California time. Our future meetings will be. Note that the Decmember
date has been changed to avoid the week before Christmas.
- - Mon 19 Oct 2020
- - Mon 16 Nov 2020
- - Mon 14 Dec 2020 (changed)

The following dates are proposed for 2020

- - Mon 11 Jan 2021 (Week 2, because of Martin Luther King Jr day)
- - Mon 15 Feb 2021
- - Mon 15 Mar 2021
- - Mon 19 Apr 2021
- - Mon 17 May 2021
- - Mon 21 Jun 2021
- - Mon 19 Jul 2021
- - Mon 16 Aug 2021
- - Mon 21 Sep 2021
- - Mon 18 Oct 2021
- - Mon 15 Nov 2021
- - Mon 13 Dec 2021 (week 2, to keep clear of Christmas)

I've created a calendar entry for our regular attendees, to provide
automated reminders. Please ask if you wish to be added to this.

8. AOB
- ------

In response to a question, raise specific issues as on GitHub, but also
post links to the mailing list

Best wishes,

Vice Chair


-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: embench-generic-sep-2020.odp
Type: application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.presentation
Size: 1245308 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://lists.librecores.org/pipermail/embench/attachments/20201016/13cacda5/attachment.odp>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: embench-generic-sep-2020.pdf
Type: application/pdf
Size: 464563 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://lists.librecores.org/pipermail/embench/attachments/20201016/13cacda5/attachment.pdf>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: embench-generic-sep-2020.odp.sig
Type: application/octet-stream
Size: 95 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://lists.librecores.org/pipermail/embench/attachments/20201016/13cacda5/attachment.obj>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: embench-generic-sep-2020.pdf.sig
Type: application/octet-stream
Size: 95 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://lists.librecores.org/pipermail/embench/attachments/20201016/13cacda5/attachment-0001.obj>

More information about the Embench mailing list