[Embench] Embench meeting/call 20 September 2020

Jeremy Bennett jeremy.bennett at embecosm.com
Sun Sep 20 15:22:36 CEST 2020


-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Hi all,

Our next regular meeting of the Embench group will be tomorrow Monday,
20 September, 8-9am California time. We shall meet using the same Zoom
details as before.

Please email me if you do not have the Zoom meeting details - I am
reluctant to post details on an open mailing list.

Agenda
======

1. Actions from previous meeting
- --------------------------------

ACTION: Jeremy to add tutorial example to reproduce baseline results
in documentation.
- - captured as GitHub issue 68
- - in progress

ACTION (ongoing): Roger Shepherd to provide Embench results for ST dev
boards, Apple Macs and Raspberry Pi.
- - in progress

ACTION: Jeremy Bennett/Paolo Savini to attempt to get results for
Atmel AVR using Arduino.
- - in progress

ACTION: Jeremy Bennett to explore alternatives to Google Docs for
presentations
- - Open Document Format version prepared
- - hieroglyph version in progress

ACTION (ongoing): Ray Simar to set class project to come up with new
benchmarks based on the TinyML book.
- - in porgress
- - Ray to report in item 6

ACTION: Jeremy Bennett to update documentation to advise that Python
minimum version 3.6 is required.
- - in progress

2. GitHub pull requests
- -----------------------

- From embench-iot:

https://github.com/embench/embench-iot/pull/86
- - update doc/README.md to explain Python module naming
- - merged
- - thanks to Roger Shepherd for the fix

https://github.com/embench/embench-iot/pull/88
- - fix GCC specific and ISO C compliance error
- - resolves issue 72
- - merged
- - thanks to Paolo Savini for the fix

https://github.com/embench/embench-iot/pull/90
- - fix error in result decoding
- - merged
- - thanks to Samuel Obuch for the fix

https://github.com/embench/embench-iot/pull/91
- - log all arguments on failure of benchmark_speed.py
- - merged
- - thanks to Samuel Obuch for the fix

https://github.com/embench/embench-iot/pull/92
- - fix typo in comment
- - merged
- - thanks to Roger Shepherd for the fix

- From embench-iot-results:

None

3. New GitHub issues
- --------------------

- From embench-iot:

https://github.com/embench/embench-iot/issues/87
- - note python prequisite version
- - bug assigned to Jeremy Bennett
- - in progress
- - thanks to Ofer Shinaar for raising this

https://github.com/embench/embench-iot/issues/89
- - problems building benchmark
- - resolved
- - thanks to Nagendra Gulur for raising this
- - thanks to Samuel Obuch for the resolution

https://github.com/embench/embench-iot/issues/93
- - need for a standard citation for Embench
- - see agenda item 5
- - thanks to Ben Marshall for raising this

https://github.com/embench/embench-iot/issues/94
- - how to reproduce Embench for riscv32
- - assigned to Jeremy Bennett & Paolo Savini
- - discussion in progress
- - thanks to Huaqi Fang for raising this

- From embench-iot-results:

None

4. Update on benchmarks
- -----------------------

Roger Shepherd will report on his progress with benchmarking other
platforms.

Paolo Savini and Jeremy Bennett have recently re-run the Embench 0.5
benchmarks to obtain data for GCC 10.2 and a historical record of
performance for Arm on versions of Clang/LLVM. They will report results

5. Publicity
- ------------

Stefan Wallentowitz is putting together an interview style blog post
about Embench, based on interview responses from Dave Patterson and
Jeremy Bennett

A new version of a generic presentation on Embench will be circulated
at the meeting.

Ben Marshall has raised the question of a standard citation for
Embench. Currently he is using:

@misc{embench-iot,
title={Embench: Open Benchmarks for Embedded Platforms},
author={David Patterson and Jeremy Bennett and Palmer Dabbelt, Cesare
Garlati and G. S. Madhusudan and Trevor Mudge},
howpublished="\url{https://github.com/embench/embench-iot}"
}

He has asked if there is a better citation he should be using.

Jeremy Bennett is giving a keynote talk at the 3rd Workshop on RISC-V
Activities held by Edacentrum, Germany. The talk will be looking at
the RISC-V Software Ecosystem. The final part of the talk explores the
importance of benchmarking in developing that ecosystem.

- - workshop: https://www.edacentrum.de/en/events/risc-v/2020/program
- - talk abstract: https://www.edacentrum.de/risc-v-software-ecosystem

Jeremy Bennett is speaking at VSDOpen on 10 October, a conference for
students in India. Although the talk has quite a broad abstract, it
will use Embench as an example of the bridge between hardware and
software in open source.
- - conference: https://www.vlsisystemdesign.com/vsdopen/

6. Embench 0.6
- --------------

There is an ongoing shared document to add potential programs for a
new floating point benchmark suite:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tC0LXZRYeyoSRTM9aXtapzx3sA00vfFcL9QjOxU3vzQ

Ray Sinar and his students at RICE are leading the effort to develop
the FP benchmark suite with his students during the coming semester.
Ray to report.

A reminder that we need volunteers to lead particular aspects of
current and future efforts.

7. Next meeting
- ---------------

We currently meet regularly on the third Monday of each month 8-9am
California time. Our future meetings will be. Note that the Decmember
date has been changed to avoid the week before Christmas.
- - Mon 19 Oct 2020
- - Mon 16 Nov 2020
- - Mon 14 Dec 2020 (changed)

The following dates are proposed for 2020

- - Mon 18 Jan 2021 (Martin Luther King Jr day)
- - Mon 15 Feb 2021
- - Mon 15 Mar 2021
- - Mon 19 Apr 2021
- - Mon 17 May 2021
- - Mon 21 Jun 2021
- - Mon 19 Jul 2021
- - Mon 16 Aug 2021
- - Mon 21 Sep 2021
- - Mon 18 Oct 2021
- - Mon 15 Nov 2021
- - Mon 13 Dec 2021 (week 2, to keep clear of Christmas)

Do we need to move the January meeting to week 2?

I've created a calendar entry for our regular attendees, to provide
automated reminders. Please ask if you wish to be added to this.

8. AOB
- ------

Best wishes,


Jeremy Bennett
Vice chair
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iF0EARECAB0WIQRASGDWqmhRZUfAaPW+9YFy+0dU4QUCX2dXmgAKCRC+9YFy+0dU
4cFfAJ9AkPxUe48kydKdierOm+XZajkBAgCggO1DqSXGFAFuAoJTYVROrYKMWr8=
=evLf
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----



More information about the Embench mailing list