[Embench] New metrics for Embench results - Base/Peak and Speed/Rate

Ofer Shinaar Ofer.Shinaar at wdc.com
Wed Mar 3 12:46:58 CET 2021

Hello all,
I would like to bring to the forum a suggestion on including more results metrics as we have on SPEC

1.       Include metric fo Base and Peak:

-          SPEC url or explanation: https://www.spec.org/cpu2017/Docs/overview.html#Q16

-          Currently, we can say we only have "Base", on IoT results.

-          Having "Peak" will give us a possibility to expose more compiler flags that can boost performance, and we can publish results + links to tools that can "find the best set of compiler flags"

Example for work done by Craig Blackmore (from Embecosm):

o   https://github.com/craigblackmore/opentuner

o   https://www.groundai.com/project/automatically-tuning-the-gcc-compiler-to-optimize-the-performance-of-applications-running-on-embedded-systems/2

2.        Include metric for Speed and Rate

-          SPEC url for explanation: https://www.spec.org/cpu2017/Docs/overview.html#Q15

-          On the embedded space, sometimes throughput is more important than "time". Those days we can start seeing IoT cores /MCUs that have a multithreaded design.
Also, we see emerging multithreading designs for RISCV. On those designs rate for throughput will be more important than Time.

Thoughts/comments?

Thanks,
Ofer

Ofer Shinaar
Senior Manager, R&D Engineering - Firmware & Toolchain, CTO Group

Western Digital(r)
Israel, Migdal Tefen 24959, P.O Box 3
Email: Ofer.shinaar at wdc.com
Office: +972-4-9078783