[Embench] WD Code size compiler tests

Jeremy Bennett jeremy.bennett at embecosm.com
Wed May 12 19:54:23 CEST 2021

On 02/05/2021 11:57, Nidal Faour wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I would like to have your opinion about opening a new repo under the
> Embench to hold the test cases done by WD. (located at the following link)
>
> https://github.com/westerndigitalcorporation/riscv32-Code-density-test-bench
> <https://github.com/westerndigitalcorporation/riscv32-Code-density-test-bench>

Hi Nidal,

I'm up for this. I think we need to get buy in from the Embench
community. What do others think?

> My suggestion is to have a new repo to hold these tests and labeled
> “compiler benchmark” or whatever better name you may suggest.

That would be the thing to do. We'd need to make sure it was consistent
with the 7 principles behind Embench. One that springs to mind is the
need to make sure that the benchmarks are self-verifying.

> Also, I think it would be better to add a new column labeled
> “Compiler” to the Embench Baseline Data slide to emphasize that these
> tests are made to test the compiler maturity for the specific target.

Well they test three things - the processor, the compiler and the
libraries. There is always the issue of how much information to put on
the summary.

> Just to remind you, here is the Baseline Data table I’m referring to
> as an example that I took from one of Jeremy's presentations. (see the
> last column I’ve added)
>

> /Name/
>

> /Comments/
>

> /Orig Source/
>

> /C LOC/
>

> /code size/
>

> /data size/
>

> /time (ms)/
>

> /branch/
>

> /memory/
>

> /compute/
>

> /Compiler/
>
> aha-mont64
>

> Montgomery multiplication
>

> AHA
>

> 162
>

> 1,072
>

> 0
>

> 4,004
>

> low
>

> low
>

> high
>

> crc32
>

> CRC error checking 32b
>

> MiBench
>

> 101
>

> 284
>

> 1,024
>

> 4,010
>

> high
>

> med
>

> low
>

> cubic
>

> Cubic root solver
>

> MiBench
>

> 125
>

> 1,584
>

> 0
>

> 3,831
>

> low
>

> med
>

> med

I don't think the compiler alone adds much. What matters is all the
supplementary data (in the JSON file) providing all the details to
reproduce the results.

Email: jeremy.bennett at embecosm.com