[Open SoC Debug] Documentation and Web Site Update

Philipp Wagner lists at philipp-wagner.com
Fri May 20 13:47:34 CEST 2016

Hi all,

I took some time this week to make some of the work done on OSD more
visible to the world.

- The first goal was to rewrite parts of the Overview document to make
it easier for people to get started with OSD.

In the process (the usual "try to fix one problem and branch out into a
myriad of subproblems") I also commited two changes:

- The documentation markdown is now more usable:
  - Crossreferences to figures (i.e. "@fig:something") can now be used.
  - Images in SVG format are converted to PNG or PDF depending on the
output format.

- The web site received a major update to include the documentation at
http://opensocdebug.org/docs/ in HTML and PDF form. As soon as the
hardware implementation documentation makes it to the master branch I
also plan to include this documentation online as part of the
"documentation library".

- To make all this happen, I packaged pandoc (used to convert Markdown
to PDF/HTML) with some plugins as easily usable docker container. You
can find the code and instructions here:
https://github.com/opensocdebug/opensocdebug-doc-converter
The downside of being standalone is that the container is rather large
(~ 2GB; it contains a full TexLive and Inkscape installation)

Enjoy!