[Open SoC Debug] GSoC project to improve soft-CPU debugging in LiteX + MiSoC

Philipp Wagner philipp.wagner at tum.de
Mon Mar 20 16:50:45 CET 2017

On 03/19/2017 09:57 PM, Tim Ansell wrote:
> Hi Philipp,
>
> At the moment I'm looking at the lowest effort way to add debugging to
> LiteX as kind of a "proof of concept" to demonstrate how it might work.
> I had previously gotten adv_debug_sys working with the or1k and was
> planning on getting that stuff working again before I came across
> OpenSoCDebug.
>
> At the moment I just want some Verilog code that I can wrap with LiteX
> and hook up to the or1k core's debug interface. It seems like OSD might
> not be ready for me to use that way yet?

In this case, I'd not go with OpenSoCDebug for now, but use the or1k
debug infrastructure with adv_debug_sys & Co. directly. It should be
easy to revisit this decisions once you have a need for more
sophisticated debug/trace infrastructure (and by then OSD should also
have run-control debug working out of the box).