[Open SoC Debug] Queries Regarding GSoC and Open SoC

Philipp Wagner mail at philipp-wagner.com
Thu Feb 22 16:41:31 CET 2018

[Forwarding this mail to the public OSD mailing list. Please reply there.]

Hi Anant,

both projects you chose require a bit more advanced understanding of
Verilog and system-on-chip hardware design. I'm not sure if you'll be
able to successfully complete these projects by reading your resume, but
there is an easy way to figure it out yourself: trying!

 From the two projects you mentioned I'd recommend taking the
run-control debug (GDB) one, since that should be easier to get started
with.

To see if you'll be able to make yourself at home at a larger code base,
please try to setup OpTiMSoC (which contains Open SoC Debug) and work
through the tutorials. You can find the instructions here:
https://www.optimsoc.org/docs/master/user_guide/installation.html (Note
that currently the dependency installation documentation seems to be not
updated from the source, you can find the correct documents regarding
this part here:
https://github.com/optimsoc/optimsoc/blob/master/doc/user_guide/installation.rst#dependencies)

For the OSD run-control GSoC task you don't need an FPGA board, all work
can be done in simulation using Verilator. Hence it's sufficient to work
through the Verilator examples in OpTiMSoC.

So: give it a try and let me know if you face any problems along the way.