[Open SoC Debug] CDM: Next Steps

Stafford Horne shorne at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 23:13:24 CEST 2018

Hi Shivam,

As it was noted in Philip's mail it was suggested to work on the "CDM
Client" class.  This will help define the software side API of the CDM
hardware that the gdb-osd server will interact with.  In order to do
that you may also want to think about what API (functions) would be
required by the gdb server.  You can look at some example
implementations of those.

I would also suggest having a non gdb, more simple, debug interface.
The gdb debug interface is quite complicated and makes a lot of
abstractions via GDB.  Having a simple interface could make it easy to
independently verify your "CDM client" class.  Is there something
similar already for the MAM interface?

For software a good reference implementation for a gdb server is the
one from qemu:

  - qemu - https://git.qemu.org/?p=qemu.git;a=blob;f=gdbstub.c

There is also a openocd gdb server implementation:

  - http://repo.or.cz/openocd.git/blob/HEAD:/src/server/gdb_server.c

Bother are self contained and not huge.

-Stafford