[Open SoC Debug] CDM: Next Steps

SHIVAM AGGARWAL shivam16195 at iiitd.ac.in
Fri Jun 15 13:28:51 CEST 2018

Hi all,

I went through a couple of resources to understand the implementation of
GDB server, RSP protocol
and how these things can be used for OSD-GDB server.
https://sourceware.org/gdb/onlinedocs/gdb/index.html#SEC_Contents

A gdbserver acts as a bridge between GDB (the GNU debugger) and a System on
Chip (SoC).
It accepts commands from GDB via a network port (TCP/IP) using the RSP
protocol,
then translates those commands into a format understandable by the debug
hardware
modules in the system being debugged.

The current implementation of gdb server in openOCD is generic and
core-independent.
http://repo.or.cz/openocd.git/blob/HEAD:/src/server/gdb_server.c

The target specific details (for example, for OR1K) are listed here:
http://repo.or.cz/openocd.git/tree/HEAD:/src/target/openrisc

As per my understanding, the complete software side in OSD should be
something like this:
https://pasteboard.co/HpZezKd.png

The OSD-GDB server will be responsible for communication between GDB and
OSD-GDB
server via TCP port using RSP protocol.

The major differences (as per my understanding) between the implementation
of gdbserver in
openOCD and OSD system:

1. The bridge program uses the hardware drivers to send the translated
commands to the
target system via an external JTAG cable in case of openOCD. We don’t need
to support
JTAG or any other communication medium in the OSD-GDB server.
This part is handled by GLIP and osd-device gateway.

2. There are 2 data areas that are manipulated by GDB:

   - Main memory. A uniform address space with 32-bit addressing. Provision
   for separate or unified instruction and data and instruction caches.
   Provision for separate or unified, 1 or 2-level data and instruction MMUs.
      - This area can be accessed using MAM client class.
   - Special Purpose Registers (SPRs). These registers provide all the
   administrative functionality of the processor: program counter, processor
   status, saved exception registers, debug interface, MMU and cache
   interfaces, etc.
      - This area can be accessed using CDM client class.

3. An interface to connect it to the host controller (as mentioned in the
image).
I think the general API for that part should be similar to osd_memaccess
class.
http://opensocdebug.readthedocs.io/projects/osd-sw/en/latest/02_developer/api/libosd/memaccess.html

The target description is mentioned as:

http://repo.or.cz/openocd.git/blob/HEAD:/src/target/openrisc/or1k.c#l53

Also, something about the target description in an XML file is specified
here:

https://sourceware.org/gdb/onlinedocs/gdb/Standard-Target-Features.html#Standard-Target-Features

I am looking more into this point. Please, if possible elaborate more about
this point and

how it can be executed in the OSD-GDB server.

Also, suggest if I should continue the discussion over this topic on the
mailing list or a PR with possible API would be better?

Thanks
*Shivam Aggarwal*