[Open SoC Debug] Queries Regarding GSoC and Open SoC

Philipp Wagner philipp.wagner at tum.de
Thu Mar 1 09:37:41 CET 2018

Hi Anat,

On 03/01/2018 08:09 AM, Anant Sharma wrote:
> After a 2 hour of frustration break, I am back on track and your
> solution works. :')

Great that it worked, and I hope you were able to wipe off a bit of
frustration by now and are ready to get started again -- this time with
more success!

> Please bless me with your wisdom and tell me the following:
>
> 1. What exactly was the problem when I download optimsoc as release?
> 2. What changed when I built it as source?
> 3. How did you know that this could have been a problem?
> 4. Why was everything working fine during the tutorials if optimsoc
> wasn't built properly?

OpTiMSoC moved on, and the last release is rather old (its from December
2016 in fact). When building the examples from source you mixed the old
optimsoc library (from December 2016) with the updated examples (from
master, i.e. yesterday). That doesn't work.

 From now on we'll always use master (or a branch close to that), as we
want to develop things which are newer than what we have today (instead
of something that is newer than what we had in 2016) :-)

Make sure to follow the "master" documentation instead of the one for
v2016.1. This is the right one:
https://www.optimsoc.org/docs/master/user_guide/tutorials.html

I'll see how we can improve the documentation to make sure that doesn't
happen again (https://github.com/optimsoc/optimsoc/issues/108).