[Open SoC Debug] GSoC-18, Open SoC Debug

Roman Demenko roma.dmnk at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 13:21:04 CEST 2018

Hello, Phillipp.
Thanks for your feedback.

On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 12:10 PM, Philipp Wagner <philipp.wagner at tum.de>
wrote

> 1) You discussed the compression part extensively in your proposal and
> also in the project timeline. What's a bit missing, however, is the
> decompression. In my experience writing the code for trace decompression
> takes at least as much time as writing the HDL creating a compressed trace.
> At the same time, only the combination of the two shows that the approach
> really works and enables end-to-end evaluations of the compression rate
> with different applications. So please add this part to the proposal, and
> see how you can adjust the scope a bit to find time for that.

Indeed, we can not speak about compression algorithms correctness without
assurance that the trace can be recovered. That is why I suppose to
implement compression (verilog RTL) + decompression (a C program) and debug
them in a stand-alone setup early in timeline. Apparently, this is not
clear from timeline.
I corrected timeline and added decompression details.

2) You state in your proposal:
> "Besides this GSoC project, I work on a project that is a part of my PhD.
> And it is a full-time activity. However, I estimate that I could spend
> 20-25 hours per week to this problem."
>
> Does this mean you have another full-time job next to GSoC, and plan to
> spend 20 hours a week on GSoC, making it in total a work week of ~60 hours?
> Please go into a bit more detail how you plan to balance your two jobs (or
> what previous experience you have with that). Key to successfully
> completing a GSoC project is (obviously) having enough time to spend on it.

That is correct. My estimation is based on the following: my current job
has a flexible schedule. So it is convenient for me to shift the working
day (it is obviously from 12 a.m to 8 p.m.). So I have about +2 or +3 free
hours in the morning on weekdays and Saturday (+ 8 hours). It gives about
+20 hours and Sunday for a day off. Besides this a 4 week vacation can be
allocated to focus on GSoC full-time.
I added a brief summary to proposal.